Role of the Governing Body
Our Purpose: Improving the quality of education and standards of achievement for St John’s children.
The Governing Body answers for its actions to parents and the wider local community for the school’s performance. It is accountable for holding the leadership to account within the Ofsted judgements and the Church of England framework. We achieve this through our goals and by being challenging and supportive to the school.
|Goal 1: Setting Strategic Direction||Goal 2: Creating Accountability||Goal 3: Ensuring Financial Correctness|
What this means:
Governors know their school; its strengths and weaknesses; to hold senior leaders to account for all aspects of the school’s performance through rigorous planning and controls to ensure effective and efficient management of the school’s resources to deliver high expectations for children’s learning and development.
How we achieve this:
- To act in the best interests of the school - balancing short and long term school and community challenges
- To work as a member of a team at all times and be loyal to collective decisions and transparent
- To recognise that all Governors have the same rights and responsibilities and that no Governor can act alone
- Respect confidentiality, listen to and respect the views of others and involve the right people in our decisions
- Taking a fair share of work/positions of responsibility and bringing the right skills on a voluntary basis
- Governors are held to account by strict terms of reference and selection processes and through regular training
- Every two weeks the Chair meets with the Head to discuss progress and to provide support and tour the school
- Once a term the Full Governing Body meet to review pupil progress, including vulnerable groups, discuss budgets, review health and safety and to provide updates
- Termly each Governor visits the school to observe teaching in all subjects and discuss progress with management
- At least annually Pay and Admissions Committees meet to review and plan
- Support as required e.g. PTA, Parent Forums and Meet the Head sessions, meeting the School Business Manager
As a voluntarily aided school parents are encouraged to contribute a small amount annually. The fund is transparently and carefully managed by Governors and annually is independently audited. Funds are used to support the above objectives.
It is normal practice to raise questions or concerns with your Teacher or the School Leadership team and thereafter the Chair of Governors. We aim to respond quickly to all correspondence. We welcome contact via firstname.lastname@example.org